[NHCOLL-L:128] Re: insuring shipments of specimens?

Alastair Graham Alastair.Graham at marine.csiro.au
Mon Apr 26 20:51:43 EDT 1999

>I'm wondering about other collections' policies regarding insuring shipments
>of specimens.

The fish collections within Australia had a similar discussion last year.
The general consensus was that when sending loan parcels overseas, the
parcel should be insured at least for a nominal value ($100 - $500), so
that the parcel could be tracked through the postal system.  Although
nobody could recall testing the tracking system.  Some suggested using
registered mail.  Most were against using couriers or freight companies as
these quite often resulted in customs & quarantine expenses at the
destination, whereas posted parcels might be inspected, but at no cost to
the receiver.

Australia Post has a form, the International Post Customs Declaration for
Insured Articles (form C 233) which has a 'V' number.  This allows them (or
so they say) to track a parcel as the 'V' number is recorded by the post
authorities.  Whereas the International Post Customs Declaration for
Ordinary Articles (form C 231), despite having an individual reference
number, does not allow tracking of a parcel, as this number is not
recorded.  So, if you want to keep track of an international parcel, you'll
need to insure it, according to Australia Post.

>It's preferable to hand-carry types, but sometimes shipping them is
>necessary (for example, returning items to overseas institutions).

There is no guarantee that hand-carried specimens will not be lost or
damaged in transit, even if they are carried in a person's hand luggage.
Of course there is more chance of loss or damage to specimens if they are
in the non-hand luggage.

>Our policy is to insure all shipments, and types are insured for a higher
>>value.  The problem is, I have found that insured values are completely
>>arbitrary from institution to institution..........   Can you
>really stick a value on specimens?  It seems that there should be a better
>way of dealing with a lost type than handing over a check for $XXX.

What is a specimen worth?  A specimen's 'value' would include the cost of
collecting the specimen, identifying, registering (including databasing),
photographing, preserving & maintaining it in the collection.  An
individual specimen could be worth $100 - $500 (or much more) say, if you
had to go out & replace it.  Of course you can't put a monetary value on a
specimen's 'scientific/taxonomic value', afterall a holotype is potentially
the one & only specimen known of a species.

So why do we insure our specimen loans?  When you look at the 'value' of a
specimen being sent on loan, we are generally under-insuring them.  Of
course it would be cost prohibitive or impossible to insure loan parcels
for their 'scientific/taxonomic value'.  Besides allowing for parcel
tacking, do we insure parcels, so that if the unthinkable (loss or damage)
does occur, we can at least get some monetary compensation?

Alexandra Snyder & Michael Vincent raised an important point about sending
a separate invoice.  And yes, a copy of the invoice should be placed in the
parcel as well, in case the outer address label is torn off in transit, but
also to assist in any postal/customs inspection.  Besides allowing the
recipient to acknowledge the safe (or otherwise) arrival of the specimens,
the separate invoice also notifies the recipient that the specimens have
been sent to them & they will then be expecting the parcel.

And finally, I also include the following notice, typed in various
languages, in the parcel:

"Postal Inspectors:  This package contains dead, preserved fish for
scientific study.  If this shipment is inspected, it is absolutely
imperative that the fishes wrapped in moist muslin be returned to, and
sealed inside the plastic bags.  If not, the fish will dry rapidly and will
be worthless.  Thank you very much for your cooperation."

cheers

Alastair

Alastair Graham
Fish Collection Manager
CSIRO Division of Marine Research    Phone: (03) 62 325 222
GPO Box 1538                           International: (61-3) 62 325 222
Hobart  Tas  7001                    Fax:   (03) 62 325 000
AUSTRALIA                              International: (61-3) 62 325 000
                                     E-mail: Alastair.Graham at marine.csiro.au
Division Website: www.marine.csiro.au