[NHCOLL-L:630] Re: Long term effect of compactus storage onwet specimens

Rich Rabeler rabeler at umich.edu
Thu Jun 22 13:09:20 EDT 2000

When we were designing our compactor installation for the University of
Michigan Herbarium, we were leaning toward a manual system from both lower
cost and the angle that it should be more reliable over the long run.

That said, we did install an electrical system and, after getting a few bugs
out of it, have been quite pleased with the reliability.  One aspect that
I'd like to comment on is the "smoothness of operation".  I've used a number
of manual systems and I have to side with the electric system (at least
ours) as providing a more gentle carriage start-stop.  The bad part of our
system is that the governor that controls the acceleration/deceleration is
located on the motor on the carriage under the cabinets - getting at it if
it breaks gets into cabinet removal.

I'd agree with Robin - isn't it quite easy to have a jerky manual operation?
I think this might be especially a problem if visitors use the collection
extensively, especially impatient ones.  I have one user who can't wait for
our electric rows to fully open.  I know from my own experience with manual
systems, the tendency to move more than one row at a time (and then quickly)
is a temptation that would defeat the smooth stopping.

Rich Rabeler
University of Michigan Herbarium