[NHCOLL-L:632] Re: Long term effect of compactus storage onwet specimens

John E. Simmons jsimmons at eagle.cc.ukans.edu
Thu Jun 22 14:30:20 EDT 2000

> I'd agree with Robin - isn't it quite easy to have a jerky manual operation?
> I think this might be especially a problem if visitors use the collection
> extensively, especially impatient ones.

Yes, it is easier to move a manual system with a jerky motion.  Its also very
easy to train the personnel not to do it.  We are very strict about this.
Visitors
can only use the system with instruction.  If they refuse to follow our
instructions,
they must go sit in the lab and wait for their specimens.  I agree with Judith
on
this point--compactors are expensive, professional equipment.  We expect
professional behavior from visitors, and we monitor them closely.  If they
can't act like responsible adults, they can't use our collection.

jes