[NHCOLL-L:1155] web-enabled databases

Richard Monk rich.monk at TTU.EDU
Wed Aug 22 09:27:18 EDT 2001

Good Morning Listers!

We at Texas Tech have finally developed a web-enabled, searchable of our
mammal collection database.  Other collections will come "on-line"
shortly.  (Pun intended.)  We have not linked the searchable database to
our main web site yet, as we first wanted to get some input from others who
have linked their collection databases to their web sites.  The main
questions we have are:

1.   What kind of response are you getting from the searchable database?

2.   What limits are you placing on access to the data?  (Do you require a
password to access any/all of the database?  What data do you provide?  Do
you limit locality data to state or county level, or do you give specific
localities?  Did you have concerns about this and what were the overlying
factors that influenced your decision the most?)

3.   How much of a reduction in direct information requests have you
seen.  I.e., have users opted to use the web database instead of writing
directly to the collection manager for information?  Do you think there has
been an overall increase (or decrease) in access to collection information?

4.   How do you quantify database use?

For now, our approach is to release portions of the database (specific
records AND fields are blocked) to the general public.  Access to the
complete database by bona fide researchers (after an approved request for
access) would be by password, limited to a particular time frame.  Such use
would be logged.

We suspect that there will be MANY casual visitors who will not require
detailed information, but will benefit from some information.  On the other
hand, we want to provide a useful service to scientists while maintaining
control of the data.

I appreciate any insights or input you want to provide.  If you want to
look at the database search engine we have, please e-mail me directly for
the URL.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Richard Monk