[NHCOLL-L:1176] A new book from UBC Press

Berit Kraus kraus at ubcpress.ubc.ca
Wed Aug 29 20:18:39 EDT 2001

Dear:

I would greatly appreciate if the following information about a
forthcoming book from UBC Press could be posted on the
SPNHC web site. If  you require the copy to be shorter, please
contact me and I'll be happy to cut it down to the required length.

Thank you for your help in making our book known to those
visiting your site.

Sincerely,

Berit Kraus
Manager, Advertising and Promotion, UBC Press

A new book from UBC Press

Preserving What Is Valued
Museums and First Nations

Miriam Clavir

Preserving What Is Valued explores the concept of preserving
heritage.  It presents the conservation profession's code of ethics
and discusses four significant contexts embedded in museum
conservation practice:  science, professionalization, museum
practice, and the relationship between museums and First
Nations peoples.

Museum practice regarding handling and preservation of objects
has been largely taken as a given, and it can be difficult to see
how these activities are politicized.  Clavir argues that museum
practices are historically grounded and represent values that are
not necessarily held by the originators of the objects.  She first
focuses on conservation and explains the principles and methods
conservators practise.  She then discusses First Nations people's
perspectives on preservation, quoting extensively from
interviews done throughout British Columbia, and comparing the
British Columbia situation with that in New Zealand.

In the face of cultural repatriation issues, museums are
attempting to become more culturally sensitive to the original
owners of objects, forming new understandings of the "right
ways" of storage and handling of materials.  Miriam Clavir's
work is important for museum professionals, conservators, those
working with First Nations collections in auction houses and
galleries, as well as students of sociology and anthropology.

Miriam Clavir is Senior Conservator, the Museum of
Anthropology, University of British Columbia

December, 272 pages

For ordering information, please visit our web site at
www.ubcpress.ca