[NHCOLL-L:1181] Re: position available

Dennis Paulson dpaulson at ups.edu
Fri Aug 31 11:22:14 EDT 2001

I'll add my comments to those of Stuart Fullerton and our unnamed colleague
about the position at UC Santa Cruz.  After reading those messages, I
re-read the job announcement, and "ludicrous" and "ridiculous" are not
inappropriate terms.  No offense intended to those at UC Santa Cruz who
wrote the job description, as they perhaps aren't writing from the
standpoint of experience, but there are many individual components of that
job description that could take 30 hrs/week in a small natural history
museum, and the whole job as described sounds like something for a staff of
a half-dozen, at least if it were to be done well.  I hope someone will
reconsider this position - the salary, qualifications, extent of duties, or
all three!  Alternatively, perhaps the "Museum of Natural History" is a
small teaching collection used by the Department of Environmental Studies,
and maintaining it and having specimens available for department courses
really is a 30 hr/wk job?  If that were the case, this is a rather
grandiose description!  I ask this because I searched on UC Santa Cruz and
could find no information about this collection.

Dennis Paulson, Director                           phone 253-879-3798
Slater Museum of Natural History                 fax 253-879-3352
University of Puget Sound                       e-mail dpaulson at ups.edu
Tacoma, WA 98416
http://www.ups.edu/biology/museum/museum.html