[NHCOLL-L:914] Ink-jet printed labels again.....

Fabio Penati museo.morbegno at provincia.so.it
Fri Mar 2 04:00:40 EST 2001

Dear colleagues,
I am going to generate specimens labels from my Access database of Vertebrates collections, but I have a few doubts. I know that this subject has already been discussed in this list, but I still need your help, so excuse me.
To print the labels I can use only a Hewlett Packard DeskJet 720C with black ink cartridge "HP 51645A". I must print labels for skins and mounted specimens and for specimens in alcohol. During the last three years, I have used this printer several times to print Insects labels with good results (at least, they seem to be so to me), but before labelling whole Vertebrates collections I would like to be sure as much as possible about what I am doing. So my questions are:
1 - Can the ink of cartridge "HP 51645A" be used to print labels and which kind of paper (weight, chemical standards, etc.) is more suitable?
2 - Have I to use different ink and paper for alcohol collections? For example, a distributor suggested to me the use of color photo paper and I have tried it, but in alcohol the ink started to fade away only after 12 hours.........
I am aware of the fact that maybe the answers to my questions are in several published papers, but in Italy "english" literature on the preservation of natural history collections is very scarce. In fact, I have bought both volumes of "Storage of Natural History Collections" and I keep them on my desk like a bible............
Thank you very much for you attention.

Fabio Penati

Director
Museo Civico di Storia Naturale