[NHCOLL-L:916] Re: Ink-jet printed labels again.....

Richard Monk richard at packrat.musm.ttu.edu
Fri Mar 2 09:14:05 EST 2001

As I'm sure everyone on the list has heard, the consensus is that Ink Jet
(and Bubble Jet) inks are not permanent even in water, let alone in
alcohol.  However, I printed some labels from my HP 722C printer several
months (nearly a year) ago and put them in 70% Ethanol for a test.  The
labels did bleed off during the first 1-2 hours, discoloring the alcohol,
but the quality of the print was not affected.  Furthermore, there has been
no appreciable fading or leaching since that time.

The paper I used was a 100% cotton, purchased from an office supply store--
nothing special.  The ink cartridge is the same one Fabio mentioned.

It's possible that labels could be printed and then washed in alcohol to
remove this "extra" ink that discolors the fluid before being placed in
permanent storage jars with specimens.  This is a subject that needs more
investigation.

I hope this helps,
Richard.

Richard Monk