[NHCOLL-L:930] Starch pellets

Rich Rabeler rabeler at umich.edu
Tue Mar 6 17:40:14 EST 2001

I suspect that many of you already are aware of the potential "food value"
of starch packing pellets, but I thought I would relate a recent incident at
MICH as a reminder.

About two weeks ago MICH received a parcel continaing specimens that we had
loaned to a Brazilian herbarium.  When we opened the box, much of the space
above the specimens was filled with turquoise-blue packing pellets.  The
color attracted our attention but, upon closer inspection, so did the small,
brown beetles that were crawling on them!  From the small blue fragments on
top of the bundle of specimens, it was evident to me that some of the
peanuts had been serving as food.

The "good news" is that the specimens had been sent air mail, arrived
quickly, and were not damaged.   We will be tossing any such pellets that
arrive at MICH just in case......

Rich Rabeler,
Collections Manager, Vascular Plants
University of Michigan Herbarium