[NHCOLL-L:1679] wooden sewer pipe protection

White, Rich rich at thewildlifemuseum.org
Wed Aug 14 13:56:13 EDT 2002

Hi, Carole..
When I was the City Archaeologist in Burlington, New Jersey, we had a number of sections of such pipe.  They originally had been used in Philaldephia; in the late 1800's they were replaced with cast iron and the wooden pipe sold to Burlington which installed them for their first water supply system.

In our case they were made of cedar, and as such needed no preservation; they were not subject to insect pests at all.  What wood are the pipes your friend is caring for made of?  That will really determine the method of prservation.  PEG is certainly a possibility if the pipes were not already impregnated with something which would not allow a water solution to penetrate.

As a side bar, you might ask your friend if any of the pipes have a hole in the side which has been closed with a conical wooden plug....  When there was a fire in those days, the firemen dug a hole down to the water pipe, and knocked a hole in it..the excavation then filled with water, and they were able to bucket or pump it to use on the fire.  Afterwards they pounded the wooden stopper in place to repair the hole....and that is the derivation of the term "fire-plug" used sometimes today to describe a hydrant.

Richard S. White, Director
International Wildlife Museum
4800 West Gates Pass Road
Tucson, Arizona 85745