[NHCOLL-L:1663] RE: Creating digital images of specimens and link ing to a database

Bob Glotzhober bglotzhober at ohiohistory.org
Thu Jul 25 07:21:27 EDT 2002

Why not just type up the catalog number and print it out in crisp, bold
typeface and photograph it with the grasshopper.  The image can later be
cropped for your link to the image from the catalog, but the original image
will always have the catalog number with it.

We are about the start the same process this fall -- hopes yours goes well
-- let us know when things are available for viewing.  So far we have only a
few history items linked to images.  These are our battle flags.  If things
go well, eventually many/most of our cataloged items will have links from
the online catalog to the image.  You can view our online catalog at :
http://www.ohiohistory.org/  and clicking on the tiny words at the header of
the page that say "Go to the Online Collection Catalog"  or you can go
directly to the catalog at: http://www.ohiohistory.org/occ/menu.htm    We
use software known as Horizon and a relatively new interface known as IPAC.
It has some strong search capabilities -- and only certain fields can be
viewed over the website, so sensitive information is protected.
Unfortunately, our original catalog had very limited space and we used lots
of codes and for natural history specimens only scientific names and not
common names.  We have done a lot of clean-up of records, but with
drastically reduced staff of late, it is going very, very slowly.