[NHCOLL-L:1612] Old Flea Colars

Bob Glotzhober bglotzhober at ohiohistory.org
Sat Jun 1 13:53:58 EDT 2002

First the disclaimer, then the question.
Our natural history collections are a relatively small part of the
organization -- and we have never had enough staff nor enough budget
(actually true of the entire organization anyway also) to have the latests
up to date supplies and equipment.  Our insect cabinets and many of our
other cabinets are a mixture of good quality metal cabinets, and much older
wooden cabinets that often have cracks and leaks.  That is the disclaimer
that is a fact of life in a small museum.

Having said that -- years ago we started in some cabinets using dog flea
colars as a fumigant.  The logic was they were relatively harmless compared
to PDB,  yet are supposed to repel and kill at least some insects, they are
cheap and readily available, and if fumes leak from the cabinet via cracks
that pests might enter -- it should be no big problem for staff.  I can
report that at least in some cases, these seem to provide a reasonable level
of protection where airtight cabinets are not available.

My current problem is that I just found a full, unopened (until Thursday of
this week) cases of six dozen flea colars.  Inside the case they are packed
in store-type display units of a dozen flea colars, and the dozen were
wrapped in a shrink-wrap type plastic.  Hence, one would think the insides
were fairly pristine.  Nope.  The boxes appear OK, but when you open the
individual box, the foil container holding the flea colar is discolored on
the bottom.  Open that, and the flea colar is greasy and gooie.  Upon
further inspection, I find the boxes are dated "1974".  They sat as a full
case, un-used for 27 or 28 years!

So, I would guess that other than being messy, they are likely no longer
functional due to chemically break down.  I presume that means I should
dispose of them.  The original label says after use, wrap the old colar and
"put in trash."  Can I just throw these in the trash, or have they become a
hazardous waste?  The product is "Zodiac Clear Flea Collar for dogs."
Zoecon Corporation, Dallas TX.  Active ingredients:  2,2-dichlorovinyl
dimethyl phosphate 8.3%;  Related Compunds 0.63%  Inert ingredients 91%.