[NHCOLL-L:2036] stained paleo. specimens

Invert Paleo2 asinger at fieldmuseum.org
Thu Aug 14 15:37:35 EDT 2003

In the Fossil Invertebrates collection we have several limestone
Blastoids and Crinoids that have be stained with what appears to be
green food coloring at some point in the past.  I have attempted water
but it does not remove the dye completely.  Some of these specimens are
also  repaired with glue so I am wary to use  any solvents.  Do
researchers find this distracting?  Should the staining be removed?  If
so, what is the best method? What are some collections policies in
relation to alteration of this nature?
Thank you,
Amy Singer