[NHCOLL-L:1984] professional insurance...

Vicki Noble vicn at nhm.ac.uk
Tue Jul 8 03:56:26 EDT 2003

Dear Listers,

I have posted this for a friend and so please reply to him rather than me:
simon.moore at hants.gov.uk

Although we are trying to get a group of British conservators together for
insurance purposes, we would be very glad if you would share your
experiences, States-side.

Many thanks,
Vicki Noble
Curation - The Natural History Museum, London

Professional Insurance

With the 'sue-you' society in which we live, the need for insurance to
cover against accident, whether to a person or a piece of work, becomes
more urgent to those of us not covered by our employers' insurance.  If you
are doing ANY freelance work in Natural Sciences, whether full time, part
time or occasionally, you will need insurance against Personal Liability
and Professional Indemnity.  Most organisations for whom we work require a
£2M cover for Public Liability (PL) which insures you against someone
injuring themselves when visiting your studio or you accidentally injuring
someone when working on site, and £2M for Professional Indemnity (PI),
which covers you if you make a cock-up or that vital skin starts to slip
and you end up on the wrong end of a writ!  Since most of us work regularly
on objects worth much less than £2M  it seems unfair that we should (in a
way) be subbing those who work on high-value objects such as Old Masters &c.

To this end I have contacted Peter Milne of Heath-Lambert (formerly
Crowley-Colosso) and have negotiated a combined package of £2M PL and £50K
PI for only £262.50 total premium.  I already pay over £600 for my PL cover
alone and have great difficulty in maintaining a reasonable level of PI
since most insurers do not understand the implications for Natural Science
Specimens or cannot be bothered with insuring against problems with low
value objects anyway.

I need a total of ten names to push this deal through, so far I have 3, so
if you are interested (or know someone who might be) please either e-mail
me: simon.moore at hants.gov.uk
with the details on the form below, or fill in the cut-off slip below.

Name:

Address:

Nature of business (conservation/consultancy, taxidermy):

Professional qualifications (if any):

Amount of cover you require (if different from above or put ‘cover OK’):
£     (Public Liability)       £    (Prof. Indemnity)

Estimated turnover figure if you earn over £10K per annum: