[NHCOLL-L:1985] preservation of plant material from cores

janet gillette jgillette at MNA.mus.az.us
Tue Jul 8 17:31:13 EDT 2003

I am posting this request for Kelly Cahill at North Cascades National Park.
Please respond directly to her at:  Kelly_Cahill at nps.gov

Thanks,
Janet Whitmore Gillette
Museum of Northern Arizona

A North Cascades geologist will be coring some lakebeds that are 10,000 to
30,000 years old.  He already knows there will be some plant material, from
wood, leaves to cones.  There were at least three ice-dammed lakes in this
area that saw dam failure, went dry and were covered by continental ice
several times.  The material is all very flat.  Because it is today in a
glacial outwash area, the material goes through an annual saturation /
freeze cycle.

We are not quite sure what to do to protect the plant material in the field
when he collects it, or how to plan for specimen preparation and long-term
storage.  I hear the clay comes right away from the cones and wood.

Any ideas or referrals are appreciated!  Thanks!

Kelly Cahill
Museum Curator
North Cascades National Park
7280 Ranger Station Road