[NHCOLL-L:1950] RE: Ironic quotes from Bioscience

Bob Glotzhober bglotzhober at ohiohistory.org
Wed Jun 18 07:04:20 EDT 2003

PLEASE NOTE.  Thacker is not saying (at least not in this quote) that taxonomy "should" take a nosedive.  He is merely stating a historical fact that it has nosedived!  This has previously been commented on by a number of scientists who are taxonomists.  We need to remain vocal if we want to improve a public awareness (and equally important a legislative opinion) that taxonomists and collections are indeed important as we look at biological diversity at a time when that diversity we cherish is dwindling so rapidly.  I think one of the best ways to do this is to share our knowledge and excitement with amateur naturalists, and help create more amateur naturalists out of the "common people."