[NHCOLL-L:1961] Fwd: Re: Ironic Quotes from Bioscience

Doug Yanega dyanega at pop.ucr.edu
Mon Jun 23 17:54:13 EDT 2003

Rich White wrote:

>Tim is spot on with his comments.

I don't know about that. You see, Tim said:

Rarely in our impassioned defense of our particular area do we
suggest the elsewhere for administrators to make those cuts or ways
that additional monies can be raised.  We are reduced to only
promoting the importance of our positions and our collections.  And
taxonomy and natural history collections are important, make no
mistake about that.  However, we are competing for very limited
resources with other agencies, fields and positions which are also
important in their own right.

At least here in California, the budget crisis has pretty much ONLY
affected research. Within the UC system, and even at places like the
Los Angeles County Museum, dozens upon dozens of researchers have
been either fired or lost up to 100%  (as here at UCR) of their
salaries, yet not *one* administrator - not even a secretary or
janitor - has lost their job or even had a 1% salary cut, to my
knowledge. It would be a different matter if the cuts were across the
board, but they're not. We ARE being targeted, singled out, from
among all the myriad possible places money could be cut.
I just heard this weekend - though I haven't confirmed it - that a
vice-president at one of the UCs was just given a $300,000 raise, as
part of a counter-offer to get them to stay instead of taking a job
elsewhere, and that this pay raise has prompted negotiations on the
behalf of the remaining administrators to give them *equivalent* pay
raises to bring their salaries back into line. If they have enough
money to give administrators such huge raises, at the same time
researchers are being fired, then clearly there is something very,
very wrong with how budgetary priorities are set.
We can *suggest* that the administrators cut their own budgets, or
that they cut other programs or services within the university, but
do you honestly believe that such a thing will ever happen? The
budget for light bulbs in campus light fixtures, or for sports
scholarships, or for cleaning toilets, or for landscape crews to
spray herbicides, or for office stationery, is unaffected, but dozens
of researchers have lost their salaries. We're not competing with
Police, Fire Departments, and hospitals as much as we're competing
with the administrators of our own institutions, as they're the ones
who make the bottom-line decisions, and they are, without exception,
making targeted cuts, rather than simply asking every division,
program, or department to cut a certain standardized portion of their
budgets. So, when Tim says

Neither the science of taxonomy nor natural history collections in
general are under attack.

this only needs to be rephrased slightly (to read "the practice of
scientific research, including natural history collections") to be
completely false. Even the new Smithsonian Institution administration
- which oversees our *national* natural history collection - is
apparently contending that the Smithsonian should not support
research (evidently, they believe that NSF will be happy to pay the
full salary of every taxonomist in the US). That *IS* an attack, and
rather explicitly so. Collections serve for *more* than just public
education and entertainment, but it seems that more and more
administrators are either forgetting this, or simply denying it.
Ultimately, then, I feel strongly, and have said repeatedly and
publicly, what Tim went on to state:

We should have been, and need to start, looking for ways to get off
of government welfare (a harsh term but an accurate one for our
situation) and begin looking for ways to become self-supporting.
Private donations, grants, endowments, corporate sponsorships and
affiliations, naming rights (we already do this for buildings, why
not collections and research projects...the Pfizer
Mycology Collection?), merchandising, etc.

Note that it's not because I feel that government (state and/or
federal) should not support collections, but because it's becoming
evident that we cannot count on such support much longer - at least
given the present economic and political climate. If we don't find
alternative support soon, the damage to our taxonomic infrastructure
could be severe, and in some cases irreparable. What Tim does not go
on to say, but I feel must also happen, is that all the collections
and associated taxonomists need to be completely and formally
unified, so no one gets orphaned simply because they, individually,
don't have the marketing skills or contacts necessary to attract
sufficient support on their own. We need an umbrella support
organization that aggressively seeks out, obtains, and then
distributes large amounts of money - *TO* its members - and perhaps
even takes over the administration of natural history collections
*directly*, so they are no longer subject to the whims of people who
don't even have a clue about the value of a collection.

Sincerely,