[NHCOLL-L:2085] RE: Ideas for a new ledger system?

Thomas E. Labedz tlabedz at unlserve.unl.edu
Wed Sep 24 10:46:44 EDT 2003

Robin and  others,
    Yesterday I sent a message off-list to Chris explaining a little about
what I've done with the vertebrate collections here at Nebraska.   I am very
leery of having all my eggs in one electronic basket, even with multiple
backups.  Early in my electronic career I was the victim of a software error
in the backup procedures for a database I was using on my bird banding data.
The result was that the backup system itself had failed, data were not
recoverable, and I had to re-enter all the data.
    At Nebraska I do almost everything with specimen data electronically,
including generating the tags, labels, etc., and I insist on a paper copy of
the electronic catalog just in case.  The mammals, birds, and fish have
catalog cards (two copies) with one set numerical and the other sorted
systematically.  That is our catalog.  The herps historically have a ledger
catalog and we've kept that.  The difference is that now all these items,
cards and ledgers, are generated from the electronic database onto archive
papers and then filed.  The electronically generated herp catalog is bound in
2000 specimen lots.  The pages kept loose leaf until binding.  I still have my
doubt about the longevity or archive quality of the toners going on these
pages and cards but it has been a compromise I've had to accept.
    I still have rag paper, rapidiographs, quill pens, and ink bottles around.

        Thomas E. Labedz,  Collections Manager
    Division of Zoology and Division of Botany
    University of Nebraska State Museum
    W-436 Nebraska Hall
    Lincoln, NE  68588-0514
        402/472-8366   fax 402/472-8949