[NHCOLL-L:2406] Re: Collection Volunteer Rules.

Shirley S Albright shirley.albright at sos.state.nj.us
Mon Aug 30 09:27:42 EDT 2004

One way to put a positive spin on collection guidelines is to provide a
list of most asked questions [and their answers].   It appears the
answers then are in response to a compilation of questions asked by a
consortium of people, not just you - the collection manager.    It also
gives you a chance to review other issues like the use of
telephone/photocopier/fax/secretarial resources, how to contact the
office in case of an family emergency or an unanticipated absence, and
how volunteer performance will be reviewed.

Volunteers can become remarkably possessive about their workspaces and
their "right" to work for you.   I had enjoyed the remarkable volunteer
efforts of several retirees who had been with me for more than 15 years,
when we embarked on a major renovation project during which the staff
were relocated to another building.   There was barely enough room for
staff, and the State's treasury did not want to rent enough space so
that volunteers could be utilized for lengthy periods of time....so I
had to release them during the renovations.     Oh, such wailing and
nashing of teeth.   Their responses ran the gamet from "Ok, just let me
know when I can help again" to "But I have a desk here.  My wife depends
on me being out of the house 2 days a week!"

Oh....one thing more!   Before your volunteers begin service, make sure
they [and you] understand and agree to the insurance ramifications of
working as a volunteer.   For example, if they are injured during the
course of their duties, are they covered for medical services?    Our
state government will not cover injuries to volunteers, and we've had a
few - from a fairly serious finger cut on a metal drawer edge to field
injuries during collecting expeditions.   If everyone knows what the
score is up front, it makes getting medical help speedier with fewer
'embarassed pauses".

Good luck!

Shirley Albright
Assistant Curator of Natural History Collections
New Jersey State Museum