[NHCOLL-L:2281] RE: "paper or plastic"

Simmons, John E jsimmons at ku.edu
Sat May 8 09:28:42 EDT 2004

I agree that cardboard can help buffer relative humidity, but this buffering action can also lead to worse damage that the RH might cause, particularly if it is acidic cardboard.  Acid migration will occur faster under conditions of high RH.  If the cardboard absorbs sufficient RH, this accelerated acidi migration will continue even after the RH cycle goes down.  While in some instances your are quite correct about the advantage given by the buffering of cardboard, if such humidity swings are a problem, you are better off coping with them by dehumidification or the use of a buffer that is not a container, such as silica gel in the cases.  The reason I recommended polystyrene boxes rather than the PET boxes is that the PS boxes seal better against the outside environment (including RH) than do the PET boxes.  The PET boxes are excellent in many ways, but they don't close very well.

--John