[NHCOLL-L:2731] Fwd: Fwd: Re: FW: Registrar vs. Collections Manager vs.Curator of Collections

Richard Monk monk at amnh.org
Thu Jun 23 14:38:33 EDT 2005

True.  But then you get the odd job titles like "Curator of Collections" or
"Curatorial Associate" for the person who does a combination of those
tasks.  And don't forget to add database development, data management and
archives management to the list of duties.

Just thought I'd throw a monkey-wrench into the works...

Richard

>Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:27:57 -0500
>To: NHCOLL-L at lists.yale.edu
>From: Mike Retzer <mretzer at inhs.uiuc.edu>
>Subject: [NHCOLL-L:2730] Fwd: Re: FW: Registrar vs. Collections Manager
>  vs.Curator of Collections
>Sender: owner-nhcoll-l at lists.yale.edu
>
>Currently, in vertebrates, certainly in fishes, curators do research, may
>identify specimens, tries to raise money for the collection, and approve
>loans. They also keep up on taxonomic/nomenclatural changes and direct the
>updating of the collection to reflect these changes. Collection mangers do
>or oversee the actual packing of loans, taxonomic updates, oversee the
>supplies and equipment, and direct collection assistants.
>
>Mike
>
>--
>Mike Retzer, Ph.D.
>Ichthyologist -  ><}}}}}*>