[NHCOLL-L:2735] FW:(RCAAM) Registrar vs. Collections Manager vs. Curator of Collections

Diane Gutenkauf dgutenkauf at exhibitworks.com
Thu Jun 23 17:45:20 EDT 2005

A little more on the topic

Diane Gutenkauf

-----Original Message-----
From: Registrars Committee of the AAM [mailto:RCAAM at SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU]
On Behalf Of Summers, Cherie
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 4:44 PM
To: RCAAM at SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU
Subject: Registrar vs. Collections Manager vs. Curator of Collections
Dear List,

I think Rebecca summed up the definitions rather well.  It seems the
larger the institution, the more titles to hand around.  Smaller and
mid-size museums stick to Registrar with a few combinations.  I'm the
Registrar, but my department is Collections Management.

A  "Curator of Collections"  would not necessarily work physically with
the collection, but would have and acquire all the research on works in
the collection and perhaps select works for in-house exhibitions.

Cherie Summers, Chief Registrar
Santa Barbara Museum of Art
1130 State Street,  Santa Barbara, CA 93101
Tel: 805-884-6406   FAX: 805-966-6840