[NHCOLL-L:2584] Re: Dermestid Infestation

Rebecca Newberry newberry at smm.org
Thu Mar 17 13:28:21 EST 2005

Carrie,

I'm an assistant conservator at the Science Museum of Minnesota.  I asked
my pest control contractor about pyrethrin fumigation and he advises
against it.  First of all, the fumigant has either a water-based or oil
based carrier for the pesticide.  The water based carrier also contains
xylene as an emulsifier.  Either way, you end up with some pretty nasty
residue on everything you treat.  He also thought that there might not be a
good targeted pyrethrin for dermestids.  Lots of critters are becoming
resistant to pyrethrins, so you need formulas specifically designed for the
pest you want to eliminate.  He did say you would probably see a big
initial knock down, but that it would probably not be a long term solution.

Are you able to remove the protein based specimens for treatment?  Then you
could thoroughly clean the exhibit components while you treat the
mounts.  Have you considered using a freezing company for treatment?    If
the mounts are taxidermy mounts, they should freeze just fine, provided you
wrap them in plastic.  There may be a freezer warehouse company in you area
where you can rent space for a month and freeze everything.  We sent a 10'
tall Grizzly bear to a freezer place with good results and it wasn't too
expensive.  Although sending collections out to a non-museum source for
treatment sounds a little scary, it's better than hairless and skinless mounts!

Good luck!
Rebecca