[NHCOLL-L:2590] Re: Dermestid Infestation

Gretchen Anderson gretcha at smm.org
Thu Mar 17 15:38:38 EST 2005

Hi Carrie,

I am the conservator at the Science Museum of Minnesota. Several thoughts
and questions come to mind.

You call it a "possible" dermestid infestation. Have you monitored to
determine if it is active or not? You might want to proceed with a good
cleaning of the areas affected, then monitor those areas. This will allow
you to determine if it is active and where the source of is. Be sure to
clean under and behind the infested areas and look at adjacent areas that
might be the source. If you determine that it is not active then apply the
IPM principles of good housekeeping and ongoing monitoring to keep on top
of the problem.

Are you dealing with sealed or enclosed dioramas? Or is there a way to
enclose the exhibit components so that you could do anoxic treatment on
them?  They would have to be very tightly sealed. After treatment you would
have follow IPM procedures very closely and make sure that all infested
areas are well cleaned and monitored for further activity.

Gretchen Anderson
Conservator
Science Museum of Minnesota
ganderson at smm.org