[NHCOLL-L:2863] RSA-POM Online Specimen Database

Sula Vanderplank sula.vanderplank at cgu.edu
Fri Oct 7 18:55:45 EDT 2005

Apologies for cross posting.

RSA-POM Online Herbarium Specimen Database:  www.RSABG.org/herbarium/database/

The Herbarium at Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden (RSA-POM) is proud
to announce the availability of our new searchable online specimen
database. Please visit www.RSABG.org/herbarium/database/ to search
among 90,000 records entered so far, primarily from southern
California at this time, but including all plants considered by the
California Native Plant Society to be rare or endangered within the
State.  (This includes all those considered threatened and endangered
at the state and federal level).   We hope that these data will be of
great benefit to various sectors of the scientific, botanical,
conservation and associated communities.

FEEDBACK WELCOME!  We are grateful for all your comments and
suggestions, please take the time to use our online feedback form, or
e-mail us directly with your thoughts and questions.

We plan to be sharing this data with both the California Consortium
of Herbaria, and GBIF (the Global Biodiversity Information Facility)
in the very near future, and appreciate suggestions of any other
portals that might improve access to this data.

RSA-POM Herbarium houses over 1.1 million specimens, the majority of
which are traditionally mounted herbarium sheets. Of the estimated
410,000 California specimens in the herbarium, nearly 210,000 are
from southern California.  We have currently databased 110,000 of the
Southern California specimens, 90,000 of which are now available
online.)  A particular strength of this collection is its temporal
range, which includes many recent collections due to the Gardens
active participation in local and regional floristic projects.  Data
is being entered by plant Family, with 5 databasing fronts in the
collection, and various groups having been prioritized upon request.
(For a list of families entered so far, please contact the Herbarium
Collections Manager sula.vanderplank at cgu.edu)

Search notes:  Wildcards (%) are coded into searches; so partial
names can be used.  This is an especially useful feature when
searching for localities where many different permutations may be
encountered in abbreviations (e.g., Mountains, Mts., Mtns., M.).  The
user is able to select the number of records to be displayed per
page, with set increments from 10 to 500.  Initially records are
returned in spreadsheet style.  Clicking "expanded results" returns a
more detailed set of data for all found records, while selecting a
specific accession number limits expanded data to that individual
record.  Each column can be sorted in ascending or descending order,
and by selecting the collector's name one can access all specimens
collected by that individual.

--
Sula Vanderplank
Herbarium Collections Manager, (RSA-POM)

www.rsabg.org
(909) 625 8767