[NHCOLL-L:2926] RE: climate-controlled facilities for entomology collections?

John Early jearly at aucklandmuseum.com
Thu Jan 12 20:01:57 EST 2006

Colin

Right now I have people installing climate control ducting in my
entomology collection rooms.  Because we have such limited space we have
to use them to house people as well as collections, therefore we have
compromised on 18-+/-1 deg C and 50+/-5% RH.  From what I can gather
these sort of temperatures (or even higher) are fine for pinned
specimens;  but controlling humidity is more important particularly as a
preventive measure for insect and fungal pests.

Wet collections are better stored at lower temperatures and in the dark,
preferably in  freezer rooms if you can afford them, because they
deteriorate in 70% ethanol at room temp. What's really important for
both wet and dry collections is that the envirnmtnal conditions are kept
stable and do not fluctuate - this is what causes warping in
boxes/cabinets allowing pest entry, breaks seals in jars or pops the
tops out of vials allowing evaporation and drop in alcohol
concentration.  I know that some people keep wet collections around 12
deg C which is just below the flashpoint for ethanol so this has an
added safety benefit. You may well ask how many wet collections in the
world have ever caught fire or exploded from ethanol vapour in the air,
but if you want lower temperatures be shameless and play the safety
card. In my experience administrators and managers respond to health and
safety issues better than care of collections because they know they are
accountable if anything bad happens to people.

Good luck with your project.  I hope you can get your project managers
to sing the same tune as you.

John

John Early
Manager Natural History and Curator of Entomology
Auckland War Memorial Museum
Private Bag 92018, Auckland, N.Z.
telephone +64 9 306 7042
fax +64 9 306 7091