[NHCOLL-L:2941] RE: Carosafe

Simmons, John E jsimmons at ku.edu
Wed Jan 25 13:59:50 EST 2006

Carosafe is a propylene glycol solution.  There is nothing in the
literature analyzing what effects propylene glycol may have on future
uses of you are concerned about shipping a specimen that is stored in
formalin, that's easy-ship it in water and notify the recipient that it
needs to be returned to a buffered formaldehyde solution immediately
upon receipt.  If you are concerned about shipping specimens stored in
alcohol, then using propylene glycol won't help, because you still have
the issue a solid (the specimen) that has absorbed the flammable
(alcohol).  In addition, you will rehydrate and dehydrate the specimen
by using the propylene glycol.

--John

Proprietary preservatives

Brand Name

Supplier

Comments

Carosafe(r) &  Perfect Solution(r)

Carolina Biological Supply

Propylene glycol based compound

Nasco-Guard(r)

Nasco

Propylene glycol (1,2-propanediol)

Ward Safe

Wards Scientific

Methyl alcohol, 1,2-propanediol, phenol, and water

2-phenoxyethanol

various

Phenoxetol

John E. Simmons

Collection Manager, Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Research
Center

and

Director, Museum Studies Program

University of Kansas

Dyche Hall

1345 Jayhawk Boulevard

Lawrence, Kansas 66045-7561

Telephone 785-864-4508; FAX 785-864-5335

jsimmons at ku.edu

www.nhm.ku.edu/herpetology/

www.ku.edu/~museumst/