[NHCOLL-L:3129] Re: Request information on use of propylene glycol as shipping medium for terrestrial arthropods

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Fri Jun 30 13:33:00 EDT 2006

>Hello Everyone,
>We are looking at replacing the ethanol in our arachnid vials with
>propylene glycol for shipment on loans.  This would be for shipment
>only and we would request the borrower replace the propylene glycol
>with ethanol when specimens arrived.  As far as we can tell,
>propylene glycol is not listed in the dangerous goods covered by CFR
>49 or IATA.
>
>Does anyone have experience doing this?  Any conservation concerns
>come to mind?  All references that I've found seem to indicate that
>propylene glycol is OK for specimens and even OK (if not ideal) for
>DNA.  Any negative experiences?  Any red flags?

We recently bought a drum of PG from Ruger Chemical Co. - it came
with a big green sticker on it saying NOT RESTRICTED. Clearly it does
indeed pass muster for shipping - though I wonder where one obtains
those green stickers?

Hope this helps,
--

Doug Yanega        /Dept. of Entomology         /Entomology Research Museum
Univ. of California - Riverside, Riverside, CA 92521-0314