[NHCOLL-L:3410] Re: [AVECOL-L] Mercury levels in old specimens

Laura Abraczinskas abraczi1 at msu.edu
Wed Apr 25 15:47:47 EDT 2007

Dear List,
See inquiry below that appeared on AVECOL-L last week about the historic
application of mercury to specimens.  Does anyone have further information
for Kim?
Thanks,
Laura

From: Kimberly Bostwick <ksb6 at cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: [AVECOL-L] Mercury levels in old specimens
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 14:13:20 -0400
To: Laura Abraczinskas <abraczi1 at MSU.EDU>

Hi Laura,

Thanks for the information.  And please do forward this question to NHCOLL!

Kim

Hi Kim,

FYI - See these links for publications on Mercury in natural history
collections.  It has been reported that mercury applied to museum
objects/specimens was primarily corrosive sublimate, (HgCl2).

http://www.spnhc.org/opencms/opencms/spnhc/publications/linked_documents/CF16-1_2.htm
(click on the titles for full articles)

http://www.spnhc.org/opencms/opencms/spnhc/publications/linked_documents/CF17-1_2.htm

Also see Collection Forum Volume 20 (1-2) (no link yet).

Do you mind if I forward your message to NHCOLL-L (natural history
collections discussion list)?

Best,
Laura

In general I know almost nothing about the usage of mercury in museum
specimens historically and would be curious for any information any one
could share.

Cheers,
Kim

Laura Abraczinskas