[NHCOLL-L:3507] Fwd: Neoprene rubber stoppers

Brad Hubley bradh at rom.on.ca
Thu Jul 26 10:01:51 EDT 2007

As a follow up to my email, it seems many of you have, or are moving away from this combination of homeopathic glass vials and stoppers for storage of small wet collection specimens so could you let me know what you are using instead?  Ssupplier info is most welcome also.

Thanks,
Brad

>>> Brad Hubley 7/25/2007 10:54:27 AM >>>

Hi all;

I'm searching for a supplier of neoprene rubber stoppers for our glass vials.  We used to purchase our stoppers from West Pharmaceutical but have been told that they no longer supply them.  I have tried a number of other sources (Plasticoid, VWR Scientific, BioQuip, etc.) but have come up short, mainly because the length of our stoppers are what is proving to be problematic.  The dimensions of our stoppers are 16 mm top diameter x 12 mm bottom diameter x 20 mm length and the samples I have been provided are 25 mm in length (or longer).  (If you need to see what kind of stoppers I'm talking about then go to http://www.vwrcanlab.com/catjpg/y01/y0155.jpg).  I'm concerned that if I go with the longer stoppers, that the bottom of the stoppers will expand in the vials over time making them almost impossible to get back into the vials (we've encountered this on a regular basis with stoppers that are pushed too far into vials).

If you have any suggestions as to suppliers, could you please let me know?

Many thanks,
Brad

  Brad Hubley
  Entomology Collection Manager