[NHCOLL-L:3513] RE: Sending materials to Brazilian researchers on loan

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Thu Jul 26 14:43:25 EDT 2007

There are numerous issues when dealing with transfer of scientific materials to and from Brazil:

1.	Material Transfer agreement (MTA) these were brought about to try and protect scientific property rights and exchange of biodiversity and genetic heritage.  I agree with David that even if the regulations have recently changed, these are a good idea
2.	Dangerous goods regulations - any specimens sent in ethanol are required by IATA and DOT regulations to be sent by courier (FedEx, DHL or UPS) using small/excepted quantity regulations.  Unfortunately, Brazil is one of a long list of countries that the courier companies do not have the rights to transship dangerous goods within.  Hence, you can get the parcel to the designated international airport but no further using conventional express service.  I have had some discussions with FedEx about sending the material by freight service which obviates some (but not all) of the express requirements and have been told that door to door service is possible using this method.  I have yet to try it out
3.	Postal service woes - there are untold stories of people having parcels go missing/hijacked by postal authorities in Brazil or just never reaching their destination.  There are conflicting stories about what paperwork is required to get such a parcel through customs in Brazil (veterinary certificate stating that the material is preserved and poses no threat to the environment/wildlife certificate outlining contents and endangered status etc etc.).
4.	The language barrier is sometimes a challenge with documentation in English being misread or misinterpreted by Brazilian officials.

With no official word coming from any reputable source within Brazil about what is required we have taken the step of not sending material on loan to Brazil.  We hope that some clarification will be forthcoming as we hate to disadvantage Brazilian researchers based on the policies (or lack thereof) of their country.

If anyone has some hard and fast information concerning this please distribute to all, as this issue has arisen numerous times on NHCOLL-L without resolution.

Andy

   A  :             A  :             A  :
}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>
   V                V                V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager/Specify Usability Lead
University of Kansas
Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Research Center
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
USA