[NHCOLL-L:3460] Live carpenter ants as an exhibit

Jane MacKnight JMacKnight at cincymuseum.org
Tue Jun 5 13:34:42 EDT 2007

Does anyone have experience with live carpenter ant colony as a living exhibit inside the museum?  In this case, we're looking at a local species readily available in the area.

If you have such an exhibit, I'd like to know what precautions are taken, design of the cabinet etc. to ensure that the ants are contained.  And the emergency plan if they should get loose.   If you have considered but rejected such an exhibit, I'd like to know what reasons (other than the obvious one!).

Thanks, Jane

Jane MacKnight
Registrar
Cincinnati Museum Center
T (513) 287-7092
F (513) 455-7169
Cell (513) 478-8168

Now Showing...The Alps, playing at the NEW Robert D. Lindner Family OMNIMAX Theater. Experience an avalanche, a thrilling climb and an inspirational journey. Voyage along John Harlin III’s incredibly difficult climb up the Eiger North Face in the Swiss Alps. Follow on his expedition as he strives to conquer and summit the same peak that killed his father 1966. Witness unimaginable magnificence on this dangerous journey of man versus mountain.

COMING SOON...WORLD PREMIER FROM NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC.
REAL PIRATES: The Untold Story of the Whydah From Slave Ship to Pirate Ship. See a vast array of real pirate treasure and pirate ship artifacts. Opens June 30, 2007.