[NHCOLL-L:3435] Specify vs. KE EMu

Lance McBrayer lancemcbrayer at georgiasouthern.edu
Wed May 9 09:35:17 EDT 2007

Greetings all

My organization contains several units ranging from pure natural collections (herps, inverts, etc.) to anthrological and cultural collections.  We are trying to choose a collection management software package that can accomodate the varied needs of these diverse collections.

I am a Specify Software user and proponent;  however other curators have expressed strong interest in KE EMu.  To make a choice, we need to learn more about the pros & cons of the 'other' software packages that we are individually familiar with.

Does anyone know any general or specific liabilities and/or advantages of one of these programs over the other?

To me, Specify would seem to have all of the functionality for everyone, and it's free.  Cost is an issue - but the most significant one to some.  What does KE EMu do that Specify doesn't to warrant the expense?

Any thoughts on this topic would be appreciated.

Cheers

Lance

Lance D. McBrayer, Ph.D
Department of Biology