[NHCOLL-L:3572] RE: NPS specimen ownership

Furth, David FURTHD at si.edu
Tue Sep 11 12:36:36 EDT 2007

I'm curious where the NSCA has moved?  They were in our building until
very recently and I understand that their one office person has
resigned.

They have not been an effective voice for the collections community like
the ASC was.

Our Museum does not accept specimens from the National Parks because of
their propriety policy.  They do not seem to recognize that we are a
federal collection.

For insects the Lacey Act did not include insects as "wildlife" until
1981.  So NPS cannot claim ownership until after that year.

David G. Furth, Ph.D.
Department of Entomology
MRC 165, P.O. Box 37012
National Museum of Natural History