[NHCOLL-L:3988] Re: Fw: Stacking

Janet Waddington janetw at rom.on.ca
Thu Oct 2 18:12:34 EDT 2008

Dear Heidi,

General published recommendations for design of museum storage is usually concerned with issues of preventive conservation such as pest control, security, protection from water, dust, ease and safety of access, etc., as well as safety (hence the "bracket to the wall")

With storage of heavy objects you also need to consider weight:
1)  The load capacity of the shelving.  This is dependent on the particular brand and style of shelving you want to use.  You should consult the vendor and use their recommendations for installation. We have found good sources of industrial shelving that satisfy the other conservation issues (powder coating, etc.).  Your layout needs to include space for manipulation of handling equipment (rolling ladders, fork lift, etc) if needed.

2)  Floor loading capacity of your storage area.  This may not be an issue if your storage is at grade, but can quickly become a serious structural issue.  You should consult a structural engineer to ensure that the safe loading levels for your floor will not be exceeded.

See my paper in Collection Forum 9(2), 1993, pp. 65-69.  Floor loading considerations in a palaeontological collection.

I can send you a reprint if you give me your address.

Janet

Janet Waddington
Assistant Curator and Collection Manager
Department of Natural History - Palaeobiology
Royal Ontario Museum
100 Queen's Park
Toronto, ON
Canada M5S 2C6
Phone  (416) 586-5593  Fax  (416) 586-5553
Email  janetw at rom.on.ca

>>> "Dr Heidi Fourie" <hfourie at nfi.museum> 10/1/2008 8:33 AM >>>
I am writing on behalf of the Occupational, Health and Safety committee.  We are looking for the specifications of steel shelving units for the storage of fossil material already packed in carboard boxes.  It is known that shelving units in Museums must be 15cm of the ground, bracketed to walls, etc but is there one source that summarises all of this.  I found some info in the NPS Museum Handbook Part I, but it is not sufficient.  Any additional sources?