[NHCOLL-L:4025] NSC Alliance Survey: The Economy and Collections

Robert Gropp rgropp at aibs.org
Thu Oct 23 12:26:48 EDT 2008

As we are all aware, our national and international financial markets
are in turmoil. These conditions, among others, are impacting our
federal, state and local budgets, as well as our donor base. The
Natural Science Collections Alliance (NSC Alliance) is working to
identify and begin to quantify how these economic conditions will
impact natural science collections. Thus, a short, online survey has
been developed to gather data that will help the NSC Alliance craft
appropriate public policy recommendations and resources or guidance
for natural science collections.

The survey is only 10 questions long and should not require more than
10 minutes to complete. Answering the questions is not likely to
require extensive research or digging through files and stacks of
documents. All answers will remain confidential and no individual
institutional data will be released.

We ask that each institution complete a survey. We recommend that the
institutional representative to the NSC Alliance complete the survey
or direct it to the attention of the appropriate staff person.

The survey is at:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=bB1eZMd8MyduhgCvLemJfg_3d_3d

Please complete the survey by 12:00 PM eastern time on Thursday, 30
October 2008.

If you know of colleagues at natural science collections that are not
members of the NSC Alliance, please share this request with them and
encourage them to complete the survey.

It is our plan to repeat the survey in 2009 so that we may begin to
gather information about budget trends at our nation's natural
science collections.

If you have any questions or would like to provide us with
supplemental narratives describing how the current budget environment
is impacting your institution (and how you are working to respond to
these conditions), please contact Robert Gropp at rgropp at aibs.org or
202-628-1500 x 250.

Thank you for your assistance with this important effort.

Sincerely,

Michael A. Mares, Ph.D
President, NSC Alliance

- Communicating Science: A Primer for Working with the Media -- A new
publication from the AIBS Public Policy Office.  Buy your copy today,
go to: http://www.aibs.org/bookstore/communicating_science.html

- Receive the latest science policy news, sign up for the AIBS Public
Policy Report at http://www.aibs.org/public-policy-signup/

Robert Gropp, Ph.D.
Director, Public Policy Office
American Institute of Biological Sciences
1444 I (Eye) Street, NW, Suite 200
Washington, DC 20005
Phone: 202-628-1500 x 250
Fax: 202-628-1509