[NHCOLL-L:4048] Fwd: [H&S] Fwd: Safe disposal of picric acid

CAHawks at aol.com CAHawks at aol.com
Wed Oct 29 20:33:25 EDT 2008

Catharine Hawks
Conservator
2419 Barbour Road
Falls Church  VA 22043-3026 USA
t/f 703.876.9272

____________________________________
 From: BallardM at si.edu
To:  aic-health at lists.stanford.edu
Sent: 10/29/2008 9:58:15 A.M. Eastern  Daylight Time
Subj: Re: [H&S] Fwd: [NHCOLL-L:4037] Safe disposal of  picric acid

Common name: Picric  Acid
Color Index Name Acid  Yellow (no number)
C.I. Constitution  Number: 10305
Discovered by Woulfe,  1771.
Solubility: sparingly  soluble in water (yellow); readily soluble in ethanol.

Toxicity information  From NISax et al. Dangerous Properties of Industrial
Materials 6th  ed. 1984
Can cause allergic  irritation as well as dermatitis. Sympoms of systematic
poisoning are nausea,  vomiting, diarrhea, yellow discoloration of skin &
convulsions, as well as  stupor, skin eruptions, anemia, abdominal pain and
oligeria
Explosion hazard:  dangerous when shocked or exposed to heat. Keep out of
contact with metals.  Forms unstable salts with concrete, ammonia and bases.
Picric acid is a more  powerful explosive than TNT.
Disaster hazard:  highly dangerous, shock will explode it on decomposition it
emits highly toxic  fumes and explodes. Can react vigorously with reducing
materials.
If you want to know  what it looks like it’s 2,4,6 trinitrophenol.

Mary W.  Ballard
Senior Textiles  Conservator,
Museum Conservation  Institute, Smithsonian Institution
4210 Silver Hill  Road,  Suitland MD 20746 U.S.A.
tel: 301-238-1210  fax: 301-238-3709
email _ballardm at si.edu_ (mailto:ballardm at si.edu)