[NHCOLL-L:4447] RE: Mimeograph labels

Erik Åhlander Erik.Ahlander at nrm.se
Wed Aug 12 04:19:46 EDT 2009

Reading old faded labels is always a challenge. If you fail for the moment it is important to keep the original label (it is always important, regardless) and try to read it some years later. Technical improvment (photocopying, UV etc.) seldom helps at all. Sunlight from an narrow angle, good light, long experince, and lot of fantasy use to solve most cases. Today I have problems with my eyes, but I can still read labels, also those which I failed reading 20-30 years ago.

What really is a technical improvment, when reading labels, is Internet. All linguistic, geographical, and biographical help obtainable makes the work much easier!

If you put your labels on internet we can make a reading contest :-)

Erik Ahlander, Collection Manager - Fishes
Swedish Museum of Natural History
(Naturhistoriska riksmuseet)
Section for Vertebrate Zoology
(Frescativagen 40)
P.O. Box 50007; S-104 05 STOCKHOLM, Sweden
Phone +46 8 51954118; Fax +46 8 51954212
email: erik.ahlander at nrm.se