[NHCOLL-L:4135] RE: shipping alc-preserved specimens from South Africa

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Mon Jan 5 10:57:55 EST 2009

Rob

All of the courier companies (FedEx, UPS and DHL being the big ones) follow IATA regulations for shipping hazardous materials internationally.  This means that you can use IATA Section 2.7 - excepted quantity regulations for shipping specimens or tissues using this manner.  I have attached the regulation to this message for your interest.  Essentially this means that you can ship 30ml of liquid (70% ethanol) per inner package and 500ml total without the need for extensive hazardous materials regulations.  One caveat is that the receiving country needs to follow the same regulations in order fore the package to be transported within that country.  As far as I am aware the UK does and I know that the US does.  Also note that you will need to use a box (your own box - not a FedEx box) and not an envelope as stipulated in the regs.  The major thing to remember is that you need to be trained to pack, handle and ship this material before you can use the regulations (unless you can find someone who is trained to do this for you).

In order to expedite customs etc. make sure that you have all necessary paperwork on the outside of the package (import/export permit, 3-177 in the case of the US, list of species etc.)

I have recently written an article for Collection Forum (journal of the SPNHC organization) on this matter, after having coordinated a round table with all parties (IATA, DOT, FedEx, UPS), which I have attached.  We are working towards a blanket exemption for all natural history specimens from these regulations with DOT and IATA and will hopefully have news soon.

All the best

Andy

   A  :             A  :             A  :
}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>
   V                V                V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager/Specify Usability Lead
University of Kansas
Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Research Center
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
USA