[NHCOLL-L:4333] Seeking Field Notes of Walter P. Taylor (again)

Cindy A Ramotnik ramotnik at unm.edu
Mon Jun 1 14:08:52 EDT 2009

Greetings,

I'm forwarding this request from someone not on the
listserv. Please reply directly to Jim <Cervidnut at aol.com>
and I if you can help. Thirteen years have passed since I
sought the same information (see request at end) to no
avail. Here's hoping help is out there.

Thanks,
Cindy

==========================================================================================================================================
I am looking for Dr. Taylor's field notes from 1933 also
regarding a deer translocation into the Tucson Mountains.
There is a vague reference that he documented this in his
US. Biological Survey field notes in 1933. I saw this old
post and wondered whether anyone has located these. I have
had colleagues searching w/out success from CA to the
Smithsonian.

Thanks,
JIM
Jim Heffelfinger
5219 W. Bobwhite Way
Tucson, AZ 85742
Cervidnut at aol.com

“Field Notes of Walter P. Taylor”
from Cindy Ramotnik
Mar 5 1996

I am forwarding this request for Dr. Michael Bogan,
National Biological Service, Museum of Southwestern
Biology, Albuquerque, New Mexico. The request is also
being posted to NHCOLL-L.  Dr. Bogan would like to locate
the field notes of W.P. Taylor for May 1933 during which
time Taylor was on a collecting trip in the area of White
Sands [National Monument], Otero County, New Mexico. On or
around 6 May 1933, Taylor collected four specimens of the
White Sands Woodrat, Neotoma micropus leucophaea, from "10
miles West Point of Sands," New Mexico, the type locality
of this subspecies. Because the status of this taxon is
unclear (the description of the subspecies was based on
these four specimens), Dr. Bogan hopes to examine the
original field notes to obtain additional information on
exact site of the type locality, ecological observations,
and habitat description.

The four specimens are deposited in two collections: USNM
and Univ. of Arizona. The Curators at these institutions
were contacted but no field notes could be located. Dr.
Bogan also contacted Dr. Don Hoffmeister in Illinois,
archivist of the American Society of Mammalogists, to no
avail and he has written Dr. Taylor's daughter in Canada
(no response yet). At various times, Dr. Taylor worked for
the Biological Survey, Texas A & M University, and was
(perhaps) a freelance biologist. He also lived and worked
in Arizona and California. Anyone who can provide
assistance should contact me or Dr. Bogan (mbogan at
unm.edu). Thank you very much for your assistance.  Cindy
Ramotnik

Cindy Ramotnik
U.S. Geological Survey
Department of Biology