[NHCOLL-L:4338] RE: Formalin on commercial flights

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Fri Jun 5 23:15:52 EDT 2009

Theodore

I recently received a ruling on this from IATA and DOT.  3.7% formaldehyde (what natural history folks usually call 10%) is not regulated according to the IATA and DOT dangerous goods tables.  Anything above 10% is regulated and is classed as UN3334 aviation regulated liquid.

However, with TSA not allowing any liquids above 3.4 oz I am not sure whether you will have issues with TSA or not as carry on baggage.  Checked baggage should be OK although in some cases formaldehyde can be classified as a Class 8 liquid due its noxious vapors and it is at the discretion of the pilot as to whether he/she will allow it on their plane or not.

Much easier to just ship the stuff back to yourself using FedEx or UPS internationally or USPS domestically.

Hope that helps

Andy

   A  :             A  :             A  :
}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>
   V                V                V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager/Specify Usability Lead
University of Kansas
Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Research Center
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
USA