[NHCOLL-L:4339] Re: Formalin on commercial flights

Dirk Neumann Dirk.Neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Mon Jun 8 02:50:22 EDT 2009

Hi Theodore,

it was allowed until 2005 to carry up to 1 L of 20 % formalin solution
in the checked luggage only; the 5 L you mentioned where allowed on
passenger aircaraft, but only as dangerous good shipment (= freight) in
the belly compartment (IATA handbook, 46th Ed). The regulations are
stricter for formalin now, as Andy Bentley already explained.

However, if you want / have to carry that much formlin, you may also
try  if your airline is going to carry it as checked DGR freight in the
belly. All aircraft carry freight, and all major airlines do have
freight offices at most gateways wordwide (or representatives /
subcontractors). We use this obtion if we have to carry rotenon (a
pesticide) to Africa. Make sure that you have all the necessary
paperwork from your home airport / airline in the US for *returning*
your formalin stuff in advance; this helps to avoid endless discussions
and impertinent monetary claims at the gateway in the middle of nowhere ...

Hope this helps

Dirk

--
Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/