[NHCOLL-L:4353] Fw: collection organization

George Bennett gbennett at discoverymuseum.net
Fri Jun 12 09:26:21 EDT 2009

Thanks to all who responded!

----- Original Message -----
From: George Bennett
To: NHCOLL-L at lists.yale.edu
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:58 AM
Subject: [NHCOLL-L:4348] collection organization

All:

We have separate collections for vertebrate and invertebrate paleontology and paleobotany.  I am interested in how other museums handle specimens that contain fossils from more than one of these groups.  For example, we have specimens containing plant material, bivalves, potentially insects, and fish, some all in the same rock.  Are these specimens given individual catalog numbers even though they are in the same rock?  Or simply kept as one cataloged specimen with a note in the database that the rock contains other things.  And how about physical storage - keeping them in the collection of the most important fossil in the rock seems appropriate, but maybe there are other options.  Perhaps keeping all of the fossils in a location unto themselves. Thoughts?

Geb

George E. Bennett, III
Collection Manager/Fossil Preparator
Shenandoah Valley Discovery Museum