[NHCOLL-L:4354] RE: Fw: collection organization

Thomas Labedz tlabedz1 at unl.edu
Fri Jun 12 10:59:28 EDT 2009

George,

Not infrequent among the herbarium specimens I manage are sheets with
multiple specimens of the same species from different locations or sheets
with multiple species from the same location.  Since I want these sheets
cataloged and filed in the herbarium where each record belongs they pose a
problem very similar to your situation.  What we have done is make an image
of the complete sheet for each specimen that we want filed elsewhere.  That
image is mounted, assigned an appropriate catalog number, databased, and
filed where it should be in the herbarium.  The sheet containing the image
is annotated to cross reference to the sheet containing the actual specimen
it references.  And the sheet containing the actual specimen is annotated as
to the catalog numbers for each specimen or species on the sheet and that a
"dummy" sheet containing the image is filed in the appropriate spot.
Presumably someone wanting to examine the specimen would find the "dummy"
sheet and then know where to go to the actual sheet with the specimen.  And
someone loaning, exchanging, or otherwise manipulating the actual sheet
would know to go find the "dummy" sheet(s) and annotate them as well.
Perhaps you could consider a similar arrangement for your paleo materials.

Thomas E. Labedz, Collections Manager

Division of Zoology and Division of Botany

University of Nebraska State Museum

W-436 Nebraska Hall

900 N. 16th St.

Lincoln, NE  68588-0514