[NHCOLL-L:4355] Survey: Natural History Specimen Digitisation: Challenges and Concerns

James Macklin jmacklin at oeb.harvard.edu
Mon Jun 15 11:38:30 EDT 2009

Just a friendly reminder that this is the last week to fill out the
survey... and thanks to all for taking a little of your valuable time to
do so!

Dear Colleagues,

The GBIF Global Strategy and Action Plan for Digitisation and
Mobilisation of Natural History Collections Data (GSAP-NHC), in
conjunction with the CollectionsWeb Research Coordination Network
(www.collectionsweb.org) and the Society for the Preservation of Natural
History Collections (www.spnhc.org), is pleased to announce its survey,
“Natural History Specimen Digitisation: Challenges and Concerns.”  The
purpose of this survey is to provide practical information to
administrators, curators, and managers at all levels about the
challenges presented by digitisation, and the ways in which these have
been addressed in diverse collections.  Results will be made public once
the survey has closed.

Recognizing the abundance of natural history specimens (several billion
globally) and the importance of associated information, digitization
must be prioritized to have the maximum impact in the shortest amount of
time and at a reasonable cost.  The GSAP-NHC Task Group is working to
investigate and develop a plan of action for digitization relevant at
multiple levels, from individual collections to regional, national, and
global coordination.

The survey is accessible at
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=u2F41aWI_2fPJzG0_2f4kWH4DQ_3d_3d
and will be open until June 20, 2009. We estimate that the survey will
take approximately 35 minutes.  Through this communiqué we appeal
collection managers, curators, and administrators to participate in the
survey. And finally, our apologies if you have received this multiple
times.

Walter Berendsohn
Chair, GSAP-NHC Task Group

James Macklin