[NHCOLL-L:4368] RE: how to dissolve and puffer paraformaldehyde in the field?

Moore, Simon simon.moore at hants.gov.uk
Wed Jun 24 10:55:45 EDT 2009

My penny worth!

I too, have never used p-formaldehyde in this context but I do recall (Years ago!) a yellow powder called Dowicil, produced by Dow & Co.  It could be dissolved in sea or fresh water and a concentration of 10% gave a fixative solution and 5% gave a preservative.  Its properties were /(are?) that it releases formaldehyde in contact with protein.
I remember that there was some confusion over its use and it received a rather unfairly negative write-up.  I still have a semi-eviscerated mouse, which underwent fixation back in 1967 and preservation since that time.  Despite a slight fungal growth, noted in 2003 and a renewal of the solution, the mouse is still in good condition.
I don't know if Dowicil is still available or whether its formulation has changed.

With all good wishes,
Simon Moore, MIScT, FLS, ACR,
Senior Conservator of Natural Sciences.
Hampshire County Council,
Department of Culture, Communities and Rural Affairs,
Museums & Archives Service,
Chilcomb House, Chilcomb Lane,
Winchester SO23 8RD. UK.
Internal  8 327 6737