[NHCOLL-L:4568] wood preservation

Trock, Debra DTrock at calacademy.org
Thu Oct 22 13:39:48 EDT 2009

Colleagues,

I just got a doozy of a question from our development staff that I cannot answer so am soliciting advice.  Evidently, as a fund raiser, they are planning to take a perfectly good wooden skateboard, break it in half and preserve it as if it were a specimen (don't ask why, I have no idea, and probably don't really want to know!).

We do not maintain any wood or alcohol collections in our department, so I really had no idea how best to preserve these pieces.  To complicate matters there will be metal and rubber parts attached.

Anybody have any good suggestions?  You may chuckle if you wish!!

Thanks,
Deb

Dr. Debra Trock
Senior Collections Manager