[NHCOLL-L:4569] Microscope slide storage

Alexandra M Snyder amsnyder at unm.edu
Thu Oct 22 13:37:50 EDT 2009

We have a large collection of fish specimen scales,
removed for aging and life history studies.  Each series
of scales is "sandwiched" between a glass (1"x 3") slide
and glass cover slip, also 1" x 3". The ends are taped
together. These slides are currently stored in their
original cardboard slide boxes and need to be permanently
stored/conserved. I would like to store them in a flat
position, not upright, as arthropod collections often do
for slides of their specimens/parts.

I also have slide collections (scales, opercula, and
otoliths) with balsam mounting medium (pretty sure) in our
historical collections that need to be curated.  They are
currently stored in "BakLite" plastic slide boxes.

Any recommendations on storage options or products would
be greatly appreciated. I also would like recommendations
for permanently joining the glass slide and glass cover
slip together, rather than tape.

Thank you for your attention to this request.
Alexandra M Snyder
Collections Manager-Fishes
Museum of Southwestern Biology MSC03-2020
302 Yale NE
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131 USA
PH/FAX 505.277.6005