[NHCOLL-L:4900] Re: Storage of fluid preserved specimens

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 12:35:04 EDT 2010

Patti,

NOVEC is not a good storage fluid for preserved scientific specimens.  The
drawbacks include that (1) the density is so high that preserved specimens
float in it and (2) NOVEC removes preservatives and lipids from the
specimens.

NOVEC is a methoxy-nonafluorobutane compound (C4F9OCH3) that is clear,
colorless, and odorless, with a high boiling point, low surface tension, and
a density of 1.52 g/cm3.  NOVEC is an engineered fluid that was developed to
clean, degrease, rinse, and dry electronic components, and is also used in
fire suppression systems.

NOVEC HFE-7100 has been promoted as holding solution for specimens on
exhibit because it does not present the safety hazards that alcohol or
formaldehyde present.  However, NOVEC is not a preservative—instead, it is
supposed to form a protective envelope around the specimen.  In one short
and simple test done with preserved earthworms, 3M engineers discovered that
NOVEC’s cleaning action rapidly extracted alcohol from specimens, which
caused them to deteriorate.  To keep specimens in NOVEC, the original
recommendation was that specimens had to be transferred from alcohol to
formaldehyde.  Unfortunately, there is now evidence that in the long run,
NOVEC will extract formaldehyde from the specimens as well. Although NOVEC
is crystal clear with excellent optical properties, its density is so high
that fluid preserved specimens become extremely buoyant and must be
restrained to remain below the surface of the fluid, which can tear or break
the specimen.   NOVEC can be cleaned and re-used indefinitely, which is good
because it is very expensive—in 2008 the cost was $275 per gallon.

I have been quoted in an article in about the use of NOVEC as sounding much
more optimistic about the stuff than I really am—I mention this because the
people who sell NOVEC often hand out copies of the article (e.g., I have
seen displays at several AAM meetings showing a fish in a tank of NOVEC and
a sign indicating that the USNM endorses it, which they do not).  For those
interested, the citation is:  Drahl, C.  2008.  Seeking an eternal solution.
Fluorinated fluid is the protagonist of an ongoing experiment in preserving
biological specimens.  *Chemical and Engineering News* 86(44):25-28.

The USNM began using NOVEC in 2006 in an exhibit of marine life as an
experiment because they were prohibited from using a large volume of alcohol
or formaldehyde.  The news from the monitoring that the USNM is doing of the
exhibit is not encouraging.  The problems include the weight of the NOVEC
and the continued extraction of water and formaldehyde from the specimens.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

John

John E. Simmons
Museologica
128 E. Burnside Street
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania 16823-2010
simmons.johne at gmail.com
303-681-5708
www.museologica.com
and
Adjunct Curator of Collections
Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
Penn State University
University Park, Pennsylvania