[NHCOLL-L:5071] Update to TLS tags

Jessica Rosales rosales at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 9 12:44:13 EST 2010

A few months ago I inquired about alternate tag vendors as the quality
of TLS' tags had deteriorated. Unfortunately no suitable alternate
vendors were found.  However, I'm pleased to report that TLS worked with
us to get the issues with the poor quality tags worked out, and the
samples they sent performed well in all fluids (alcohols, formalin,
glycerine, water). One minor thing we noticed was there seemed to be an
excess of ink on the sample tags as the alcohols turned a light blue
when a chunk of tags was placed in the jar. Didn't occur with formalin,
and as the darkness and quality of the print didn't seem to be affected
we decided it wasn't a big enough deal to reject the tags, but did let
TLS know.

TLS re-ran the series of the bad tags we had not yet used, free of
charge, and we placed an additional order of 20,000 tags for our herp
and fish collections. Just for kicks I placed a similar sized chunk of
these new tags into a jar of EtOH and these don't appear to have the
excess of ink issue like the sample tags.

-Jess

Jessica Rosales
Ichthyology Collection Manager
Texas Natural History Collections
Texas Natural Science Center
The University of Texas at Austin
10100 Burnet Road, PRC 176/R4000
Austin, TX 78758-4445 USA

512.471.8845 voice
512.471.9775 fax

Find out more about the Texas Natural History Collections
<http://www.utexas.edu/tmm/tnhc/fish/index.html>:
Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Austin-TX/Texas-Natural-History-Collections/30600125266>Youtube
<http://www.youtube.com/user/TXNaturalScienCenter>